Visit our sponsors

Friday, July 29, 2005

Mallman's report on Day 5 of his 7 night stand at the Hexagon

Mallman Wednesday
Photo by Janey G.

Here is Mark Mallman's report going into Friday night's show:

"It's Friday early evening as I type this, and it saddens me to see that the end is in sight. I wish I could play shows every night, and write songs everyday, and live life like other musicians. I don't know what or why it is the way that it is, and I'm grateful for the fans I have, and for this city. Do you ever lie awake at night and think about what could have been? I do. Some people have dreams, others have realities - most of the time I just feel like a ghost. Anyways, I guess that's hard for some to understand, so I'll just get on with it..

Last night was an opportunity for me to play some of my slower tunes - we had more on the set list, but the crowd seemed like they wanted the wild stuff. We managed to squeeze in "Romeo Daze", "I work Here, I Grew up Here", and "Simply in the Distance", but had to cut a few. I threw in "Humankind" when a certain 'difficulty' came up. I had this Dr. Dre sample to play with and an acoustic guitar - so I combined "The Hangman, He Grinned" with a new song called "the Devil is my co-pilot".

Someone asked me if I was playing these 7 shows as my last shows ever - she'd heard a rumour. All my life I've felt an overbearing darkness, a draining, force of sadness - music has been the only cure for me. I literally cannot face the day without music. I would rather be dead."

0 comments: