Visit our sponsors

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bauhaus at the State Theatre

Bauhaus played the State Theatre in Minneapolis tonight (11/7/05.) I'd seen Peter Murphy at First Avenue in 2002, but I had never seen Bauhaus live before (though I danced and drank aplenty to their recorded music in the early to mid 80's.)

Peter Murphy is a theatrical ham. Always has been, I suppose. But I almost sense a little envy of Daniel Ash's rock star power in the reformed ensemble. Ash singing "Slice of Life" as the first encore was a set highlight.

Seeing the full Bauhaus lineup for the first time made me wish I'd made the effort to see Love and Rockets back in the day.

"Bela Lugosi's Dead" was the predictable and proper final encore, but I'm probably not the only tired old rock fan who was secretly wishing for "Ball of Confusion."

A full review of the show may follow on the main site. Or not.

Here's the set list:

1. Burning From the Inside [I didn't recognize this one right off.]
2. In the Flat Field
3. God In An Alcove
4. In Fear of Fear
5. Terror Couple Kill Colonel
6. Swing the Heartache
7. She's in Parties
8. The Passion of Lovers
9. Silent Hedges
10. Kick In The Eye
11. Hollow Hills
12. Rose Garden Funeral of Sores (John Cale)
13. Stigmata Martyr
14. Hair of the Dog
15. Dark Entries

Encore:
1. Slice of Life
2. Telegram Sam (T-Rex)
3. Ziggy Stardust (Bowie) [During this song, the guitar player from a well known local punkband was ejected for crowd surfing. Crowd surfing at the State? Strange, but true. Actually, it was more like "row surfing," and pretty much harmless, and she should have just been returned to her seat to enjoy the encore.]
4. Bela Lugosi's Dead [I think Peter misread the memo that said "Wear the batrobe" and wore a "bathrobe."]

Related links:

0 comments: