Visit our sponsors

Saturday, December 17, 2005

City Pages Year in Music issue uses howwastheshow.com photo on cover


City Pages Year in Music issue cover, featuring my photo of Dave Matters. (Click cover for my original photo.)

Today at Anodyne, I finally had the chance to pick up the paper copy of this week's City Pages, the Year in Music 2005 issue, featuring a cover story by Pete Scholtes, Local Music Yearbook '05.

A few friends had asked, "Isn't that your picture of Dave Matters of Belles of Skin City on the cover?" and indeed it is.


Latest issue of the Grinnell Magazine

Speaking of the covers of magazines, Bruce Springsteen recently graced the front of my alma mater's seasonal publication, The Grinnell Magazine. Springsteen played in the now demolished Darby Gymnasium at Grinnell in 1975 (7 years before I set foot on campus, if you're wondering), and that visit was honored by an article in the current issue. (Have a look at the photo gallery from that show here. )

I should note that that same Darby Gym was also the place I first saw The Suburbs, David Johansen, and The Violent Femmes, and it was just outside that gym that I first saw the Replacements (in 1983.) Also at Grinnell, I saw The Wallets, Love Tractor, The dB's (minus Chris Stamey), and I think even R.E.M. Those were some good years.

Which brings me to why I was at Anodyne today, to be interviewed by Erin Peterson of that very same Grinnell Magazine for an article about HowWasTheShow.com. I am hoping the article appears in the Spring issue as it should be a perfect conversation starter at my, erm, 20 year college reunion which takes place the first weekend of June, 2006.

0 comments: