Visit our sponsors

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Strokes is album of the month at Radio Indie Pop



Love or hate The Strokes, you can't go wrong with a free listen.

Radio-Indie-Pop
is offering a free listen to the full length The Strokes album, First Impressions of Earth, released just yesterday. (All you have to do is register for the site.)

I broke down and signed up for Rhapsody last night and listened to the disc there. It was surprisingly more than just okay, though at times it comes off like a Lou Reed tribute album. The songs are catchy and tense, and I may yet decide it's their best effort yet.

Catching up on last year's discs, I started soaking in the strains of Bruce Springsteen's Devils and Dust. Just a couple listens to the title track and you'll start to see why that album ranked so high on people's lists last year. When the Boss sings, "Fear is a dangerous thing," I have a few ideas about what he might be referring to. This might be one of Springsteen's moodiest offerings in a while.

2 comments:

Matt Johnson said...

I’m always happy when I hear someone give props to Devils and Dust. Too bad most of the "indy crew" was too cool to list it. It's appalling to me that pitchfork didn't even review it.

Love the site. Keep up the great work.

David said...

I hope people who overlooked it in 05 go listen to it now. I'm glad I made myself a little note to go explore the stuff I missed because I'm really enjoying this one. "Maria's Bed" is another of my favorites.

I gave the Neil Young album "Prairie Wind" a listen, and though I do like it, it seemed a bit like a re-write of one of my favorite Young albums, "Harvest Moon."