Visit our sponsors

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Live at Gluek's with Mary Lucia

Watching live radio can be about as much fun as watching paint dry, but we did have a good time down at Gluek's tonight.

I arrived after DJ Jake Rudh had left, but I did get the chance to talk to Marc Perlman, and to meet PiPress theater critic Dominic Papatola (pictured at left) and give him a copy of my father's book, London Theatre Walks. (I had an extra copy previously listed on half.com, but decided to pull it and give it to someone I thought might enjoy it. It just seemed like the thing to do.)

Jessy Greene was on hand "in the audience" Thursday night, Lindsay Thomas, and an an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in years showed up because he'd read about it in the paper. And Nathan from Murzik came down to show his support.

In the bar, the interviews didn't come over nearly as well as the music unless you were sitting near the front, which is where I went to listen to Dominic. His discussion with Mary Lucia about the new theater production about Jim Jones and his deadly 1978 Kool-Aid party was really interesting.

As far as my interview with Mary went, from where I was sitting, it was an absolute joy. As soon as the mic went off all I had to say to her was, "That was an eff'n amazing interview." I had practically almost forgotten we were on the radio. The questions were fun, unexpected, and had me talking about things I'd either never talked about before or hadn't discussed with anyone in a long, long time, which resulted in my actually being interested in what I had to say (for a change.) It was one of the most enjoyable 15 minute conversations I've had on or off the radio in some time.

All I have to say is, if the Current calls and asks you to do an interview with Mary Lucia, do it!

I'm hoping podcasts of all four interviews will be available on the Current's website soon. I'll be sure to link into them when they're available.

0 comments: