Photo by Miranda Anderson (click for larger version.)
Ever wonder what a good chunk of the people who write about music in the Twin Cities look like at 2:45 a.m. on Monday morning?
Check out this photo of the gang who participated in the 2004 KQ Critics show Sunday night. From left to right, KQ Homegrown co-host Dave Campbell, Ross Raihala of the Pioneer Press, Chris Bahn of the Onion, Rich Horton of Rift Magazine, Chris Riemenschneider of the Star Tribune, Rob Van Alstyne of Pulse Twin Cities, David de Young of howwastheshow.com and KQ Homegrown co-host Mei Young.
Sunday night's show featured each critic presenting a song for discussion. (Howwastheshow selected "I Don't Know" by Redstart, who play Friday night at the Cedar Cultural Center opening for Barbara Cohen.) The show also featured selections from Eydea and Abilities selected by Chris Riemenschneider, and Swiss Army selected by Rich Horton, Heavy Sleeper selected by Rob Van Alstyne.
Here's the full playlist of the critics selections:
1. Heavy Sleeper - "Back to Me" from "The Gifted Curse" (Rob Van Alstyne)
2. Swiss Army - " False Starts and Timelines" from " Private Ambulance (Rich Horton)
3. Red Start - "I Don't Know" from "So Far From Over" (David de Young)
4. Thunder in the Valley - "After" from "Thunder in the Valley" (Chris Bahn)
5. Eyedea and Abilities - "Kept" from "E and A" (Chris Riemenschneider)
6. Trashed Actor - "WMD Disco" from "Glitter and Alcohol" (Ross Raihala)
Howwastheshow found the discussion to be a little dry at times and suggested that next year instruments be forced into the critics hands and they should be asked to play a few songs, then field calls from the bands critiquing their performance.
The show, which starts at midnight, is normally just over an hour in length. It ran for two and a half hours Sunday night, and that says something. I'm just not sure what.
Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Posted by David at 12/14/2004 01:03:00 PM