Visit our sponsors

Monday, October 06, 2003

A few images from the Destijl/Freedom From Festival of Music

This weekend's Destijl/Freedom From Festival of Music sucked me in in ways I couldn't have imagined beforehand. Unfamiliar with the majority of the acts, I warmed to most of them immediately. Curiosity, and the fact that I felt like I'd miss something incredible if I left kept me at the Fine Line for longer than I'd planned on both Saturday and Sunday. Ultimately, I placed myself in the hands of serendipity, discovering what I discovered and leaving it at that. I came away with a better understanding of underground music than I had before. And one things is for sure: although some of what I heard this weekend might have been as close to noise as it was to music, it was some of the finest, most interesting and creative noise I've heard in some time.

Cheers to Clint Simonson and Matthew St-Germaine for staging this great festival again this year, and kudos to the Fine Line staff for their great job in playing host to this event.

Below are a few pictures I snapped at the festival.

Sadly, I missed Bridget St-John. If anyone has any photos, I'd love to see them.


Left to right: Jim O'Rourke, Chris Corsano, Thurston Moore (click for full size)


Paul Flaherty arrives and the trio becomes the 4 piece AKA the Chris Corsano/ Paul Flaherty /
Jim O'Rourke / Thurston Moore Aktion Unit (click for full size)







Erika Elder and Matthew Valentine as the Mvee Medicine Show


Chicago's Metalux


More Metalux


Milwaukee's Neon Hunk managed to be weird even within the context of an already weird collection of acts. (click for full size)


Another shot of Neon Hunk(click for full size)


0 comments: