Visit our sponsors

Tuesday, July 01, 2003

I'm getting into the habit of sleeping really late and staying up until 4 a.m., which due to the time difference of 7 hours puts me basically on the same schedule I'd keep if I were at home. (It'd be like getting up at 6 and going to bed at 9 p.m.) Because Copenhagen never really closes down (you can buy liquor round the clock) the schedule actually works quite well.

Last night I went to a small music club called Stengade 30, with the intention of seeing Tomahawk a supergroup which features members of Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. The show was sold out, so I couldn't get in. But afterwards hearing the first American accent I'd heard in a while, I approached a fellow from the band to ask where he was from. Mr. Mike Patton himself brushed me off with a simple "all over" and that was that. Too bad, because a simple 1 to 2 minute chat, once I realized who he was, would have yielded some kind words about the success of their current European tour with the Melvins. (It appears to be going quite well.)

It's raining again today, and my Copenhagen visit wraps up tomorrow. Then I'm off to London. My plans today include a trip to the Copenhagen City Museum for a little dose of history, and perhaps a visit to the "free state" of Christiana, an area of the city where the hippies moved in about 30 years ago and declared a free country and legalized pretty much everything. (Though after it became a haven for heroin dealers, they thought twice about that, banned it and actually did a great service by helping a lot of junkies get off the stuff.)

0 comments: