Visit our sponsors

Sunday, July 13, 2003

The funny thing about a plan....

Lew Welch once said, "The funny thing about a plan is that that never actually happens." Well, so much for my plan of keeping up with this blog during my travels. After the problem with the Brussels keyboards, the internet access at the country house of my Welsh friend Norma not far from Llangollen was spotty at best. Now, here in Dublin at last, for the last few days of my journey, I've managed to grab a few minutes of internet time at a cafe on O'Connell St. whilst my friends have already headed off for the final day of the Wittnness Festival where I will shortly be joining them.

Echo and the Bunnymen got the festival off to a slow start yesterday. If both they and the crowd didn't seem to into it, I could understand. They started playing at 1 p.m. while the beer tents didn't open until 2:15! Surprisingly it's actually difficult to get drunk at Witnness since the beer tents close down again at 10 p.m. even though the last acts don't hit the stage until nearly 11.

One highlight yesterday was seeing Coldplay again so close to the tent where the Raveonettes were playing that I got a stereo earful of both bands at once. Not that that's a good thing, but only at a festival!

Mull Historical Society was probably the best show I saw yesterday. They are suprisingly animated and tight live, which you might not expect by listening to them on disk.

Today at around 5 p.m. on the so-called On-Stage will be the fabulous Har Mar Superstar whom I plan to cover fully for this site and anyone else who will print it. Apparently, his show yesterday at sister festival T in the Park in Scotland went over swimmingly. He's been called a "must see" act by some of the most respected DJ's in Dublin, so look out Ireland, here comes Har Mar.

0 comments: