Visit our sponsors

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

A report from Dmitry Iyudin in New York: U2 Under the Brooklyn Bridge

Though I missed it myself, U2's appearance on Saturday Night Live Sunday where they played 3 songs, closing with "I Will Follow" is apparently destined to become historic. One viewer claimed they hadn't seen such craziness since FEAR appeared on the program performing "Beef Bologna," "New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones," and "Let's Have a War." And that was on Halloween of 1981! (I watched that one live.)

If you missed U2 Saturday, check out this Quicktime video of "I Will Follow" Rumor has it that the band played 3 more songs off the air.

Monday, U2 drove down Broadway performing on a flatbed truck while filming a video for "All Because of You," the second single from their new album "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" out today. At the end of the day, the publicity stunt culminated in an hour-long free show at Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges.

Dmitry Iyudin, guitarist for now NYC-based Shadow Box (formerly from Minneapolis) ended up at that show last night in Brooklyn, say it was like seeing them play at a small club. "Bono was very funny and we got a little striptease from Larry." (I wonder what that means.) He sent me a link to these great photos from BrooklynVegan.com.

Just because Shadow Box has moved to NYC, doesn't mean HowWasTheShow won't keep you posted on their doings. Iyudin also tells me their new album is almost done so stay tuned for more.

0 comments: